Sevier County Government Tort Liability Act Attorney
We Provide Aggressive Legal Representation to Injured Victims in Sevier County
At The Barnes Law Firm, our Sevier County Governmental Tort Liability Act attorneys are highly skilled, results-oriented representatives for victims and the people they care about. Our law firm is proud to provide five star, award winning client service. We know how to hold state and local governments and governmental agencies accountable under Tennessee law. If you or your family member was injured on government property or due to the negligence of a government employee, please call us now for a free, no strings attached evaluation of your case.
Schedule Your Free Consultation Today
Your Guide to the Tennessee Governmental Tort Liability Act
Under United States law, government entities are generally entitled to sovereign immunity. The doctrine prevents most lawsuits against the government, unless the government has expressly consented to such legal action. In the old days, it was difficult to hold state and local government agencies and government entities liable for accidents in Tennessee. However, that changed in 1974 with the passage of the Tennessee Governmental Tort Liability Act. Here are three important points to understand about this law:
- Applies to State and Local Government Agencies: You could sue state government agencies and local municipalities for an accident. For example, you could bring a claim against Sevier County or a city government.
- Covers Several Types of Accidents; The Governmental Tort Liability Act expressly mentions several types of accidents, including negligent operation of a motor vehicle by a government employee, failure to adequately maintain streets/sidewalks, negligent operation of equipment by employees, other careless or reckless acts by government employees, and dangerous conditions at a public building.
- A Strict Statute of Limitations: You only have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit under the Tennessee Governmental Tort Liability Act. If you fail to file a claim within one year of the date of the accident, your case will likely be dismissed. Call a Sevier County, TN personal injury law attorney right away.
What Damages Can Be Recovered in a Governmental Tort Liability Act Claim?
After a serious accident, the bills can start piling up quickly. Beyond medical costs, you may be forced to miss time on the job. The Tennessee Governmental Tort Liability Act allows you to seek compensation for monetary and non-monetary losses. Unfortunately, as municipal governments fight hard to defend claims, getting a fair financial settlement is challenging. At The Barnes Law Firm, our Sevier County Governmental Tort Liability Act lawyers know how to help clients and their families get the full support that is owed under state law. You may be able to recover monetary compensation for:
- Emergency room care;
- Medical bills and related out-of-pocket costs;
- Physical or psychological rehabilitation;
- Lost wages;
- Diminished earning potential;
- Pain and suffering;
- Disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
Note: The Tennessee Governmental Tort Liability Act does pose some statutory limits on recovery. In some cases, your recovery could be capped by state law. An attorney can help you determine if and how statutory caps affect your case.
You Can Rely On Tennessee Government Liability Attorney John Barnes
The personal injury claims process is complicated—especially when you are naming a state or local agency as a defendant As experienced Tennessee personal injury lawyers, John Barnes and his team of attorneys are standing by, ready to help you navigate the law. Among other things, our Sevier County government liability lawyers will:
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment of your case;
- Answer your legal questions and address your rights under Tennessee law;
- Investigate the accident—gathering evidence; and
- Take action to ensure you receive the full financial compensation you deserve.
We believe that every client deserves personal support and advice. Our Sevier County, TN government tort liability act lawyers treat every case like it is the most important case we will ever handle—because we know how much it means to our clients. With a record of testimonials & reviews from clients, we have a proven record of success handling injury and accident claims.
Schedule Your Free Criminal Defense Consultation Today
Call Our Tennessee Government Tort Liability Act Lawyers Today
At The Barnes Law Firm, our Sevier County personal injury attorneys have the skills and legal expertise to handle the full range of Governmental Tort Liability Act claims. If you have any questions about your rights under Tennessee law, we can help. Contact us now to schedule your no cost, no obligation consultation. We handle Governmental Tort Liability Act claims throughout Sevier County, including in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Seymour, and Wears Valley.
"John is amazing not only did he get the outcome he promised he did it in a shorter time than he originally said. He went above and beyond in returning my emails and phone calls. John and staff truly cared about me as a person. I highly recommend John Barnes."
"I would highly recommend Mr. Barnes to everyone & I would definitely contact Mr. Barnes if I or anyone in my family should ever need an attorney again:) They were all very professional, friendly & treated our case with importance:) Mr.Barnes got my son’s DUI dropped to reckless driving so I would definitely recommend him to everyone!!!!!!!"
"Mr. Barnes and his staff are amazing. I can’t imagine anyone doing a better job with my case. At no point in the long process was I disappointed in any way with how things were handled."