Roane County Domestic Assault Lawyer
Domestic Assault Defense Attorneys Serving Roane County, Tennessee
Domestic violence charges are often complex and can result in significant legal and collateral consequences. For this reason, they are not something you want to shoulder alone. Without the representation of an experienced Roane County domestic assault lawyer, you could risk your reputation at the least and your freedoms at the worst. At Barnes Law, we know how stressful domestic assault charges can be. You have a lot on the line, and that is why we work tirelessly to provide you with effective representation, no matter what it takes.
Defining Domestic Assault in Tennessee
If you have been charged with domestic assault, it is essential to understand what these charges mean. If they do not apply to you, your Roane County domestic assault lawyer can use that as one defense to fight them. Domestic assault charges involve specific offenses and an alleged aggressor and victim who are related or in a particular type of relationship.
As defined in Tennessee Code §39-13-111, domestic assault is an assault that happens between adults or minors who:
- Are existing or former spouses
- Live together or who have lived together in the past
- Are dating or who have dated or who have or had a sexual relationship, (not including fraternization between two individuals in a business or social setting)
- Are biologically related or by adoption
- Are related or were previously related by marriage
- Are children of an individual in a relationship that is described in any of the above
Furthermore, assault under Tennessee Code §39-13-101 is defined as:
- Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly triggering bodily harm to another individual
- Intentionally or knowingly causing another
- Intentionally or knowingly causing physical contact with another person and a reasonable individual would consider the contact as extremely offensive or provocative
Schedule Your Free Criminal Defense Consultation Today
Common Defenses to Domestic Assault Charges
When you hire a Roane County domestic assault attorney from our firm, you can be assured that you are hiring an attorney who knows what your legal options are and will guide you towards the best ones. Your attorney will determine which defenses could be the most successful in fighting your charges. These defenses might include:
- Lack of proof – with the help of your attorney, the prosecutor, is unable to meet the required burden of proof to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
- Deliberate false accusations – unfortunately, false allegations of domestic assault are common, especially in divorce or child custody cases or simply for spite. Your domestic assault lawyer in Roane County could find inconsistencies in the alleged victim’s story that will show they are lying. Comparing police reports and eyewitness testimony is often an excellent way to prove this.
- Wrong suspect – the victim identified the wrong subject by mistake or on purpose for various reasons. If this defense can be used, your attorney will gather strong evidence regarding your alibi.
- Self-defense or defense of others – perhaps you acted to defend yourself or child at the scene. If you perceived an imminent threat to yourself or to others, your attorney might suggest his as the best option for a defense.
The details of your case will dictate which defense might work for you, as not all defenses are available in every case. One benefit of hiring an experienced domestic assault attorney in Roane County is that you will know and understand which defenses might apply in your case and which could be the most successful. After thoroughly investigating the facts of your case, your attorney will discuss with you what defense strategy is most appropriate and allow you to determine the course of your case.
Schedule Your Free Criminal Defense Consultation Today
Contact Us Today to Schedule a Consultation with a Roane County Domestic Assault Attorney
When someone unjustly or mistakenly accuses you of domestic assault, your personal and professional future can be put at risk. For this reason, it is crucial to hire an experienced Roane County domestic assault attorney who understands the defenses available to you.
If you are searching for a domestic assault attorney in Roane County, look no further than our firm. The Barnes Law Firm has helped Roane County area residents just like you to reach the best possible outcome in their cases, and clients and peers alike have recognized our relentless work. We leave no stone unturned when it comes to your defense.
Call the Barnes Law Firm at 865-805-5703 to schedule your confidential consultation today, or you can use our online contact form. We also offer the convenient option of online video consultations if you are unable to come to our office.
"John is amazing not only did he get the outcome he promised he did it in a shorter time than he originally said. He went above and beyond in returning my emails and phone calls. John and staff truly cared about me as a person. I highly recommend John Barnes."
"I would highly recommend Mr. Barnes to everyone & I would definitely contact Mr. Barnes if I or anyone in my family should ever need an attorney again:) They were all very professional, friendly & treated our case with importance:) Mr.Barnes got my son’s DUI dropped to reckless driving so I would definitely recommend him to everyone!!!!!!!"
"Mr. Barnes and his staff are amazing. I can’t imagine anyone doing a better job with my case. At no point in the long process was I disappointed in any way with how things were handled."