Blount County Domestic Assault Lawyer
Domestic violence charges in Blount County should not be taken lightly. A conviction can drastically change a person’s life. If you are facing such charges, now is the time to seek the best representation possible. By hiring an experienced Blount County domestic assault lawyer, you could reduce the consequences you face as a result of your case. An attorney from the Barnes Law Firm can provide you with the representation you need to seek justice, no matter how serious your charges are.
Defining Domestic Assault in Tennessee
Domestic violence comes in many different forms, making it one of the broadest types of violent crimes a person can be charged with. Tennessee law makes a clear distinction between domestic assault and other kinds of assaults. In a domestic assault case, the assault must be against a person in any of the following categories:
- Individuals who are current or former spouses
- Individuals who are living together or have lived together
- Individuals who are dating or have dated, or have or had a sexual relationship
- Individuals related by blood or adoption
- Individuals who are related or were formerly related by marriage
- Individuals in a relationship that is described in one of the previous five categories
A domestic assault conviction can create many difficulties that can change the course of your life. Now is the time to take these charges seriously and hire an experienced Blount County domestic assault attorney to help reduce or dismiss your charges. Domestic violence charges can lead to mandatory jail sentences and fines.
Even if the alleged victim tells you that they are dropping the charges, do not be deceived into thinking that you do not need to retain legal counsel. The state can still issue charges once a warrant has been issued, with or without the cooperation of the alleged victim.
Schedule Your Free Criminal Defense Consultation Today
The Two Types of Domestic Assault
Tennessee divides assault into two different categories; simple and aggravated. In a simple assault one of the following must apply:
- The alleged perpetrator intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly brought injury to the victim
- The victim was made to reasonably fear bodily injury
- The victim was physically contacted in a way that would have made a reasonable person believe it to be extremely proactive or offensive
On the other hand, an aggravated assault under Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-13-102 generally occurs when a person who intentionally or knowingly commits an assault:
- That causes an injury or a death
- By using or involving the display of a deadly weapon
- Strangles or attempts to strangle the victim
Other situations that qualify as an aggravated assault include:
- The failure of a parent or custodian to protect the victim
- A person who, after having been enjoined or restrained by an order, diversion, or probation agreement from in any way causing or attempting to cause bodily injury or in any way
- A person who, with intent to cause physical harm to any public employee or an employee of a transportation system causes physical damage to the employee while the public employee is performing a duty within the scope of the employee’s job description
Whether your assault charges are simple or aggravated, a domestic assault lawyer in Blount County can assist you in building a case to ensure the best outcome considering your charges.
How a Blount County Domestic Assault Attorney Can Help You
No matter how smart you are or how much personal experience you have in criminal court, self-representation is a gamble. Your domestic assault attorney in Blount County is trained to find unique elements in each case that can benefit their client. An attorney understands the various legal concepts involved and the facts in the case, bringing them together in an effective manner to reduce the conviction of a potential crime. The benefits of hiring a criminal defense attorney include:
- Psychological support
- Access to resources
- Their negotiation skills
- Their knowledge of the criminal law system
Domestic Assault Defense Strategies
Depending on the circumstances surrounding your charges, there might be several possible viable defense tactics in your case. Although each case will be different, our most commonly used defensive strategies include arguing that the person who accused you intentionally made false accusations against you, that you acted in self-defense, or that the police arrested the wrong suspect. After exploring and investigating the facts of your case, your Blount County domestic violence lawyer will determine which defense or defenses will work best in your situation so that you can have the best chance at avoiding a conviction that will follow you for the rest of your life.
Fourth and Subsequent DUI Offender Potential Consequences
Tennessee laws require specific consequences for drivers facing their fourth or more DUI charges. These are a Class E felony for which you will want the assistance of a Blount County DUI attorney. Even though you already have multiple DUIs behind you, it is always worth it to hire an attorney to help protect your interests and possibly reduce the consequences you will face. These consequences include:
- One Year (365) days of jail time with a minimum of 150 consecutive days served
- A mandatory fine of $3,000 to $15,000
- License revocation for eight years
- Possible vehicle seizure/forfeiture
- Mandatory attendance in an alcohol and drug treatment program
- Ignition Interlock Device installed at your expense
- If two convictions of DUI in 5 years, Ignition Interlock Device required for six months after reinstatement at your expense
Schedule Your Free Criminal Defense Consultation Today
Turn to a Skilled Blount County Domestic Assault Lawyer for Help
Do not overlook the severity of the domestic assault charges you are facing. Instead, turn to a skilled domestic assault lawyer in Blount County for help. Your attorney will look at your case from many different angles to determine what your best defense is.
Call the Barnes Law Firm at 865-805-5703 to schedule your consultation today, or you can use our online contact form. We also do online video consultations for your convenience.
"John is amazing not only did he get the outcome he promised he did it in a shorter time than he originally said. He went above and beyond in returning my emails and phone calls. John and staff truly cared about me as a person. I highly recommend John Barnes."
"I would highly recommend Mr. Barnes to everyone & I would definitely contact Mr. Barnes if I or anyone in my family should ever need an attorney again:) They were all very professional, friendly & treated our case with importance:) Mr.Barnes got my son’s DUI dropped to reckless driving so I would definitely recommend him to everyone!!!!!!!"
"Mr. Barnes and his staff are amazing. I can’t imagine anyone doing a better job with my case. At no point in the long process was I disappointed in any way with how things were handled."