Blount County Boating Accident Lawyer
Waterway Accidents Require Seasoned Legal Help
While Blount County may not have any nearby oceans, the county is full of beautiful lakes that are perfect for fishing, water skiing, or just enjoying a day out on the boat. Famous lakes that Blount County residents love to recreate in or nearby include Lake in the Sky, Calderwood Lake, Greenbelt Lake, and Chilhowee Lake. While spending time at these lakes, especially if you have a boat, can be a wonderful way to pass a hot day, boating can also be dangerous. If you have been involved in a boating accident, our Blount County boating accident lawyers at the office of Barnes Law can help. Call us today to learn more about your rights and your legal options.
Schedule Your Free Personal Injury Law Consultation Today
Injuries from Boating Accidents
When a boating accident occurs, the results can be catastrophic and even fatal for those involved. Common types of boating accidents include boat capsizes, falls overboard, boat collisions, and watersports accidents, such as running over a person in the water. Potential injuries from boating accident include, but are not limited to,
- Traumatic brain injuries, either from hitting one’s heat during a boating accident or suffering oxygen deprivation as a result of nearly drowning;
- Bone fracture injuries;
- Limb amputation injuries, which are common in propeller accidents;
- Facial injuries;
- Internal injuries; and
One thing that makes boating accidents so dangerous is the fact that they occur on the water, which means that if a person is injured and is in the water, the risk of drowning is very high.
Causes of Boating Accidents
Safe and responsible operation of a boat is the best way to prevent accidents, and the truth is that the vast majority of boating accidents are indeed preventable. Causes of boating accidents often include:
- Operator negligence or inexperience, such as speeding, taking a turn too quickly, not knowing what to do in an emergency situation or bad weather, failing to pay attention, operating while distracted or impaired, etc.;
- Lookout negligence or inexperience, which could lead to accidents involving people in the water;
- Boat guest negligence and rowdiness, which could result in someone falling overboard or distracting the boat operation;
- Third-party negligence, such as the negligence of the operation of a different boat; and
- Defective boat parts, which could result in a boat malfunction and subsequent accidents and injuries.
Who’s Liable for a Boating Accident in Blount County?
When a boating accident happens and people are injured, liability–or legal responsibility–for that accident is based on negligence. Negligence is the failure to exercise the same degree of care that a person of ordinary prudence would exercise in the same situation. For example, if a boat accident happens because the operator of the boat was drunk, then the boat operator could be held liable for damages that result.
One of the frustrating things about living in Tennessee is that boat insurance is not required. While most people do carry boat insurance, if the party who is at fault for your injuries does not have insurance, this can complicate the process of recovering compensation.
The Role of a Boating Accident Attorney
If you have been in a boating accident, working with a boating accident attorney in Blount County can be incredibly helpful in navigating the claims process and improving your chances of recovering your full settlement amount. An attorney will assist you by:
- Investigating your case. An investigation into your accident and injuries must be conducted in order to determine liability. Our lawyers will handle this process, and can even bring in accident reconstruction experts to assist.
- Calculating your damages. When you have been severely harmed in a boating accident, you deserve to be compensated for the full value of your economic and noneconomic losses. We can determine the value of your claim.
- Identifying sources of recovery. One of the most important jobs of our law firm is that of identifying sources of recovery, which means identifying sources of compensation. This will be especially important if the at-fault party doesn’t carry liability insurance.
Get the Dedicated Help You Need from Our Blount County Boat Accident Lawyers
Being involved in a boating accident is a terrifying experience. At the law office of Barnes Law, our Blount County boating accident lawyers understand what you’re going through, and we want to help. When you have a lot on the line and the future feels grim, you can count on us to work hard to get you the settlement that you deserve. Our team has years of combined legal experience and is passionate about the work that we do. Please schedule your free case consultation by calling our law firm directly today.
Schedule Your Free Criminal Defense Consultation Today
"John is amazing not only did he get the outcome he promised he did it in a shorter time than he originally said. He went above and beyond in returning my emails and phone calls. John and staff truly cared about me as a person. I highly recommend John Barnes."
"I would highly recommend Mr. Barnes to everyone & I would definitely contact Mr. Barnes if I or anyone in my family should ever need an attorney again:) They were all very professional, friendly & treated our case with importance:) Mr.Barnes got my son’s DUI dropped to reckless driving so I would definitely recommend him to everyone!!!!!!!"
"Mr. Barnes and his staff are amazing. I can’t imagine anyone doing a better job with my case. At no point in the long process was I disappointed in any way with how things were handled."