Anderson County DUI Lawyer
A DUI arrest can be terrifying. In most cases, you are questioned by law enforcement and asked to take part in a field sobriety test or even submit to a breathalyzer. There are lights and sirens and many questions from the officer who stopped you, and the next thing you know, you are handcuffed and in the back of a police cruiser.
If you’ve recently been through this, you are likely wondering whether you have ruined your life and what will happen next. Your thoughts and questions are quite typical for anyone arrested for DUI, but instead of focusing on your worries, you should act swiftly to protect yourself and your family. Call an Anderson County DUI lawyer as soon as possible to protect your rights, get answers to your questions, and get the DUI representation you need to protect your future and your rights.
DUI Penalties in Anderson County
If you have been charged with a DUI, you might be wondering what consequences you are facing. Your penalties can depend upon several factors, including whether you have been convicted of a DUI charge in the past or if there were children in the car with you. The more DUIs you have, the worse the consequences can be. Penalties for a first offense include:
- Imprisonment or jail time
- Fines and fees
- Suspension of your driver’s license
- Possible seizure/forfeiture of your vehicle
- Mandatory enrollment and completion of an alcohol and drug treatment program
- A mandatory Ignition Interlock Device installed on your vehicle at your expense
- If two convictions of DUI in 5 years, Ignition Interlock Device required for six months after reinstatement at your expense
A DUI charge can also result in serious collateral consequences. In addition to the legal penalties you will face if you are convicted of DUI charges, your reputation could be impacted, you could lose your job or be ineligible for certain jobs in the future, and it could cause problems in your social and family life. The potential severity of the legal and collateral consequences for a DUI conviction makes it imperative that you hire an experienced DUI defense lawyer in Anderson County to defend your case.
Schedule Your Free Criminal Defense Consultation Today
In many of the DUI cases in Anderson County, there are defenses available based on mistakes made by law enforcement during their investigation. Their mistakes can create opportunities to achieve a better outcome in your situation. We review every detail of your arrest and circumstances to find ways to defend you for DUI charges. Every case is unique, and we take an individual approach to each of our DUI clients.
Some possible defenses an Anderson County DUI attorney can apply to your case include:
- Improper stop – the law enforcement officer did not have probable cause to stop you in the first place
- Problems with the field sobriety test – the officer does not correctly administer your field sobriety test, or your charges are based on inaccurate results
- Improper portable or standard breathalyzer test – many factors can be questioned with a breathalyzer test such as the training of the officer who administered it, if the device was working correctly and calibrated, or if factors such as indigestion or vomiting skewed the test results
- Chain of custody issues – your attorney might question the administration of your blood test and how it was handled in the chain of custody
- Increasing blood alcohol (BAC) concentration – it is possible that at the time of your arrest you BAC was below the legal limit but by the time you were given a breathalyzer or a blood test more alcohol absorbed into your system
- You were not driving at the time of the stop – this is a less common defense, but your Anderson County DUI lawyer could question if you were actually driving at the time which could occur in the case of an accident or if a passenger switched places with you
- Improper actions by law enforcement – this defense involves evidence or testimony to prove that the officer violated your civil rights, fabricated the DUI report, or did something else improper
Schedule Your Free Criminal Defense Consultation Today
Reach out to an Experienced Anderson County DUI Attorney
We can achieve better results in DUI cases when our firm and experts have an opportunity to get involved early and quickly. Hiring a DUI defense attorney in Anderson County is the first step toward putting your mind at rest and guaranteeing that you have the opportunity to mitigate the negative impact a drunk driving charge can have on your life and your future. Whenever possible, we will work to get the charges against you dropped or dismissed. If that is not possible, we will work to obtain an acquittal at trial or to negotiate a favorable plea bargain with the prosecutor handling your case.
Call the Barnes Law Firm at 865-805-5703 to schedule your consultation today or use our online contact form. We also offer the convenient option of online video consultations if you are unable to come to our office.
"John is amazing not only did he get the outcome he promised he did it in a shorter time than he originally said. He went above and beyond in returning my emails and phone calls. John and staff truly cared about me as a person. I highly recommend John Barnes."
"I would highly recommend Mr. Barnes to everyone & I would definitely contact Mr. Barnes if I or anyone in my family should ever need an attorney again:) They were all very professional, friendly & treated our case with importance:) Mr.Barnes got my son’s DUI dropped to reckless driving so I would definitely recommend him to everyone!!!!!!!"
"Mr. Barnes and his staff are amazing. I can’t imagine anyone doing a better job with my case. At no point in the long process was I disappointed in any way with how things were handled."